Peter Loso was main settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 which the Community of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon followed and the Township was prepared in 1858 covering 81 square a long way. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph acquired its current name in 1870. Many settlers came for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Village was included in 1890. As the township grew, so performed the needs of its people, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their agenda in the 1890's, they decided to construct a jail, install a general public well, build and repair wooden sidewalks, and placed liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also problems and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was planned, which happens to be the St. Joseph Flames Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was thriving with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the family members after multiple many years of hardship because of the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 minimizing enough time to milk cows so additional here time could be spent on crops and pet care. get more info Immediately after, World Conflict 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to battle.
After the war ended individuals were able to get their lives again on track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the market crash. Together with the depression effecting every person in town, the city needed to stay together as part of your. Through a federal give, the Council could hire the unemployed to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially joined the united states into World War 2. Rationing tokens were given out because so many items were an issue. At that time St. Joseph acquired a human population of around 1050, sacrificing 10 heroic soldiers to the conflict. The community continued to be strong and continued to enhance the Community, adding a normal water tower in 1949, along with a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph started out fluoridating its normal water supply, and proceeds to do so.